Monday, July 23, 2012

PoetiC JustiCe: The BraiDs are Back!

          I often reminisce about the 1990's because it was then that I had experienced some of the best times of my life.  I was always a stylish child and turning 13 in 1993 only added to it.  After seeing Josie,   one of the "Fly Girls" from the sketch comedy series "In Living Color," my friend Tanya and I decided that we wanted them too.  We just thought Josie was too beautiful and so were those braids.  Yes, she had them before Janet wore them in "Poetic Justice."  When "Poetic Justice" came out they were dubbed "The Janet Jackson" braids.  It's 2012 and they have made a comeback thanks to a true fashionista, Ms. Solange Knowles! I absolutely adore her and her style.  Many women are reluctant to wear the long box braids, but not me.  I wear them proudly!  I love the 90's and I am glad that along with the braids, Doc Martens , neon colors (nails/spandex)*and cut off shorts have made a comeback. Now if we can just work on 90's music making a comeback that would make this woman VERY happy.   Check me out below in my rendition of the braids that I did myself.








Me (RaiNa) sitting on the stoop in Queens =) I love my 90's braids &
my boots! The 90's totally rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment