Monday, July 11, 2011

The IMPERFECTLY PERFECT 'FRO


  When you think of the afro you think about the emergence of black pride in the 1960's & 1970's, with it's roots in the Civil rights movement with such figures as Malcolm X, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Stokely Carmichael and Angela Davis.   The AFRO is a symbol of being aware of black racial identity.... ("SAY IT LOUD, I'M BLACK & I'M PROUD")*  yesterday and even today with it being seen now as a BOLD FASHION STATEMENT.  The 'fro of today is "IMPERFECTLY PERFECT." It's not combed out into a perfect round silhouette.  It's textured, asymmetrical, free & UNTAMED!

You've got to LOVE Solange Knowles....
in fact she's my favorite Knowles sistah! (shhh don't tell Bey)*
she wears this Imperfectly Perfect Fro well.












Here is a collage of beautiful UNTAMED fros worn
by Foxy Brown herself, PAM GRIER.  Do you see how the Afro has emerged into
being carefree and even more fearless? 

Here are some videos that I absolutely adore on the fro and different ways to wear it. Enjoy....
The 80's style afro side ponytail



Here is another way to achieve this style:




Tty a two strand twist out look...
This is me with my hair shorter.  I used Jamaican Lime extra hold (my hair is curly/straight textured so it's resistant to some styles) and twisted my hair while it was wet.  Then, I left it in for a couple of days and took the twist down.  The older this style gets the better & BIGGER  the fro gets which I absolutely adore.  The messier the better. There is a preview of products that I use on natural hair in the June section of this blog.


Me again with my fro partially highlighted.
Remember to never color your hair yourself unless you are a professional licensed cosmetologist like myself.  If you don't have curls like this and do not want to experiment with color on your natural locks you can always opt for extensions.....try a twist set on rods using your favorite product. Remember
to keep your ends trimmed so you can have a healthy looking head of hair.

What I use to keep my fro moisturized....
and ......

I use this every other day to keep my curls defined and most importantly MOISTURIZED.
This and all SHEA MOISTURE products are sold exclusively at TARGET . It is light weigh and I love it.
me with my hair pushed away from my face using SCUNCCI  hair bands.....I have to use 3.  You can purchase them at CVS or any local drug store and beauty supply store.



No comments:

Post a Comment